My passion is to help others in the community, young, old, and everyone in between, find relevance and joy in learning, performing or listening to classical music.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Day 2 of learning "Ballet of the Chicks" in 5 minutes a day

Image of the manuscript for "Ballet of the Chicks in their Shell,"
from Wikimedia Commons
Well, OK.  Maybe not 5 minutes a day - that's been too hard to do since I just love practicing.  It just doesn't sound as good to say "9 minutes a day" or "8 minutes and 30 seconds a day."  Ha ha! 

So here's day 2 of my "Ballet of the Chicks" project, complete with some wrong notes here and there - gulp!   Before I set into practicing, I decided to spend about 4 minutes reviewing the previous day's material, concentrating on the two passages I had marked as being the most challenging.  After that I would move on to the short and sweet trio which proved to be much, much easier.  

I think the video is pretty self-explanatory but here a few techniques I used quite a bit today:
  • I use a standard set of rhythms to practice the difficult passages.  I've done these particular rhythms for years so it's like second nature to me now.  As for why I do them, it's because I find that they help to uncover any hidden weaknesses, either because of me not really knowing the notes, a not-so-good fingering, not understanding why the composer wrote what he did, whatever.  It also keeps my brain engaged and helps me to hear lines in the notes that I might not otherwise hear.  
  • I also religiously follow a rule of mine in this video.  When I make a mistake, I stop, figure out what's wrong, correct it, and then repeat the problem spot at least 3 times in a row perfectly.  No questions asked.  If I make a mistake again, it's back to square one.  
  • I make sure that I'm always playing at a tempo at which my mind can be completely relaxed and engaged.  The minute I feel a brain spasm, freak-out, or dead zone, I stop, slow down, and start again.
  • If there's something in the music I just don't get, like an accidental that surprises me or a change in a pattern, I play around with the music in order to make sense of it in some way.  I will often re-write the music, playing it the way I would have expected it to be, and this often reveals why the composer is the composer, not me.  After doing this little experiment I have no doubt what the music should be and then that problem spot is rarely a problem ever again.  It's like getting in the mind of the composer.  Kind of fun and educational.




There you have it.  All the notes are now learned.  I'm not sure whether or not I'll post anymore annotated practice videos of this particular piece, especially since it takes a lot of time to put them together.  Feel free to let me know whether or not these videos have been helpful and whether or not you'd enjoy seeing more of these.  I'd also love to hear any questions or comments you might have since practicing provides a never-ending opportunity for improvement and learning. 



13 comments:

  1. Erica:
    For now I'll just say this: 'You amaze me!' (That's a good thing-a very good thing!)
    I'll be back to this post when I am awake.
    Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erica

    i enjoyed watching and listening to your annotated practice video - i can imagine the time it takes to create your videos, thank you for sharing them.

    beyond the videos, you have amazing talent playing and teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wayne,
    Well thank you for commenting even when you didn't feel like you were awake! I look forward to hearing any other comments you might have but am already thankful for the one you just left :-)

    Keep playing!

    -Erica

    ReplyDelete
  4. David,
    Thank you for your feedback! Very encouraging :-)

    All the best,
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erica,
    Thanks so much for sharing your approach to learning a new piece. It helps me to watch you actually doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. jpung,
    Yay! Thank you for that feedback. I'm so glad that it was helpful :-)

    Happy practicing,
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erica - It's very interesting for me to consider your practicing. First of all, because you say you love doing it! That's great, but probably pretty unusual. I think most musicians enjoy making music with others, planning and giving performances, and hearing the applause of audiences...but solitary, work-on-what-you-can't-do practicing?! Not that intrinsically motivating to most people. But I think back to your blog post of a few weeks ago about applying video games to practice. With that in mind, it's becoming more clear to me how you make practice so appealing. You're creating challenges for yourself, testing out approaches, even developing systems and formulating principles about music and learning. Practicing becomes more than practicing. It's more like an obstacle course or a scavenger hunt! It's really quite impressive.

    Thanks for sharing this! It's fascinating to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bob,
    Your reaction means so much to me. I think you have put two-and-two together in regards to my love of practicing better than I could have ever done myself. That's not all that surprising considering your background and incredible understanding for the mind in relation to musicianship.

    "Practicing becomes more than practicing." YES!!! That's exactly right. I even call myself a music detective, a music private investigator which may seem a bit corny to some but it really does make my practice sessions much more exciting! :-)

    Thank you for your feedback and your insight, Bob. I'm thankful to have met you!

    -Erica

    ReplyDelete
  9. Erica,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to create this videos! I think you already saw my blog post about them :-) This embodies everything I have tried to preach to my students about effective practicing and it has been wonderful sharing these videos with them. And you motivated me to sit down and learn some music too. It is great to remember that even with limited time, we can make meaningful music!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! I'm a viola player and have heard many a viola student practice as well as myself but it is a mind altering experience to listen to - and see - an experienced professional pianist practice! We do so many things alike and we do some things differently but I have to say that seeing the section of music and listening to your approach is a marvelous, wonderful peek inside your head.

    I feel energised!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Buck,
    You just made my day! I'm so glad you found it interesting and that you left feeling energized! That is all I can ask for. Thank you for reading
    and for the kind feedback!

    Happy practicing,
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  12. Erica,

    You have validated and brought to life the way I've been practicing/learning things for many years.....only you are so much more focused and disciplined. You have encouraged me to keep on keeping on with my piano and with other things in life....To pay attention, even if only for a few minutes and reap great fruit! Life is so scattered these days - it didn't used to be - it doesn't have to be!! :) Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings, Tracy.
      Your words mean a lot to me because you have picked up on something I am learning to hold very close - simplicity and time that isn't divided between a million and one distractions. Sitting down to practice in a focused and peaceful way is something I look forward to every day because that type of focus also brings great results and confidence. I hope that you do continue to give yourself those opportunities as well!

      Thank you for taking the time to comment.

      All the best,
      Erica

      Delete