New River Valley Symphony Orchestra at Burruss Auditorium on the Virginia Tech campus. I would love to share this event with as many folks as possible and I'm delighted to announce that the concerto will be the first piece on the program so families with children are free to come to the first half and make it home in time for a decent bedtime! To make the whole experience even more fun, I am announcing a competition that will be held over the next week or so leading up to the concert. Thanks for the generosity of the Virginia Tech Music Department, all entrants will receive a complimentary ticket to the May 1st performance!
How to Enter
How to Enter
- Listen to one or more of the YouTube videos featured below
- Draw a picture or pictures that you think represent a part of the concerto or the concerto as a whole or write a storyline to accompany a part of the concerto or the concerto as a whole
- On each entry, write artist's/writer's name, part of the concerto the drawing/story is inspired by, phone number and e-mail address where entrant can be contacted
- Send entry or entries to:
Virginia Tech Department of Music
Attn: Tadd Sipes
241 Squires Student Center (0240)
Blacksburg, VA 24061
- Entries can also be dropped off at Greenstar Farm's booth at the Farmer's Market in downtown Blacksburg on Wednesday, April 21 or April 28, from 2pm-7pm or on Saturday morning, April 24th. Their booth is on the end, closest to Roanoke Street.
- Entries can also be e-mailed to me at email@example.com
- Entries must be received no later than Friday, April 30th at midnight
- All people entering the contest will receive a complimentary ticket to the May 1st performance!!
Announcement of Winners
- The winners of both categories will be announced at intermission during the New River Valley Symphony Orchestra's performance on May 1st.
- Drawing category: two prizes will be awarded and they will be a CD or a DVD of Beethoven Lives Upstairs
- If enough drawings are submitted, they will be displayed in the lobby of Burruss Auditorium
- Storyline category: two prizes will be awarded. One will be a DVD biography of Beethoven, Great Composers - Beethoven and the other will be a CD of two of Beethoven's piano concertos, including the one being performed at the New River Valley Symphony Concert.
Videos of Beethoven's 3rd piano concerto
1st movement, part 1: Allegro con brio
1st movement, pt. 2
2nd movement: Largo
3rd movement: Rondo-Allegro
Good luck, everyone! And more importantly, have fun enjoying this great piece of music!! If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Here are some links to some other posts I have written about this piano concerto in case you're interested:
Another Florence Foster Jenkins scenario? (a.k.a. Erica makes the crazy decision to rent a concert grand piano)
Stay tuned in the next week for more posts about this concerto!