My passion is to help others in the community, young, old, and everyone in between, find relevance and joy in learning, performing or listening to classical music.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Re-living Schubert's "Winterreise" - live recording now on youtube!

I am very excited about this.  I just finished uploading the live recording of baritone David Dillard and I performing Schubert's Winterreise back in October.  At first, when I received the CD, I was as usual, hesitant to listen but I'm so glad I did because it has given me the opportunity to re-live the experience of performing this incredible song cycle.  There are some pieces that I am passionate about especially while I'm working on them but that later on, as the glow of the performance wears off, fade into just a memory.  Not so with Winterreise.  It continues to bring me to tears, tight throat and all.  I think for me, that's partially how I know that this is a key piece of music.  It is music that transcends the effect of music as entertainment and brings me some nugget of truth - that some things in life are better said through music than through words alone.  

I hope you enjoy these videos.  To listen just start with the first one that is showing here.  This is a playlist so it will proceed through the cycle without you having to do anything else.  (Amazing technology!) And if your computer is having a difficult time with this embedded version you can also go straight to this playlist in youtube.  Just click here.  I'd love to hear your impression of this song cycle as well so if any thoughts or emotions come to mind while listening, please don't hesitate to share them here.



No comments:

Post a Comment