My passion is to help others in the community, young, old, and everyone in between, find relevance and joy in learning, performing or listening to classical music.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Beethoven in 15 Minutes a Day: Day 1

Last night I announced my decision to enter the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra's concerto competition.  As soon as I wrote that post it dawned on me that perhaps I should practice - what a concept!

So here is a video of my first practice session.  Keep in mind that I'm practicing - it's not exactly the most entertaining thing to watch or to listen to.  But since I've had several people mention to me that they wished they could hear me practice I decided to give them an opportunity.  So here goes.  In the days to come I may figure out a way to annotate the videos so that folks will know why I'm doing what I'm doing.  But for now this is what I've got.

(In case anyone's interested the first 5 minutes or so are devoted to the cadenza leading up to the coda of the 3rd movement Beethoven's piano concerto.  The next 5 minutes are me working on the rhythm of the 2nd movement.  And the final 5 minutes contains some woodshedding of the Clara Schumann cadenza for the first movement.)



For more info on this project, feel free to read the first blog post in this series, "Pulling a concerto out of my hat."

Stay tuned for more.  21 more days until submission.  Gulp!


No comments:

Post a Comment